Man Utd striker Mason Greenwood released on bail
Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood has been released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of raping a woman.
Greater Manchester Police said it was aware of ‘social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence’ and confirmed that a man in his 20s had been arrested.
Greenwood – who has been suspended by his club ‘until further notice’ – spent three nights in custody after Greater Manchester Police were granted additional time to question the England international.
On Tuesday afternoon, they also confirmed that Greenwood had been further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
Following that extra time for questioning, Greater Manchester Police have now confirmed that Greenwood has been released from custody pending further investigation.
Following the striker’s arrest, video game developer EA Sports said Greenwood had been removed from FIFA products. It said he had been taken out of active squads in FIFA 22 and suspended from appearing in FIFA Ultimate Team packs and Ultimate Draft.
Sportswear firm Nike previously said it had suspended its relationship with the footballer. “We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation,” a spokesman said.
Greenwood, who made his Manchester United debut in March 2019, signed a four-year deal in February last year after rising through the ranks of the academy.
On Sunday, the club said it “did not condone violence of any kind” and had been made aware of the allegations but would make no further comment until the “facts have been established”. In a further statement on Tuesday, the club said it “reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind”.